Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1st

Hello and 'Rabbit, rabbit',

Every first of the month I try to remember to say 'Rabbit, rabbit' right when I wake up for good luck (unfortunately I forgot until right now). Anyway, I cannot believe it is already October! In the past two weeks, the campus completely transformed. The leaves changed, the weather cooled off, and the students started to bundle up. Being from California, I tend to migrate from my summer to fall wardrobe much faster than most of my friends. This year was no exception.

St. Clement's Hall on the Brighton Campus
Foliage near Fulton Hall
Most weeks, I struggle to get out of bed on Monday mornings. Today felt harder than usual because I spent the whole weekend running around with my parents for Parents' Weekend. 

On Friday, my parents and I attended the 20th Pops on the Heights concert in Conte Forum. Proceeds from the evening benefit the Pops Scholars, a longstanding student aid initiative that enables bright young men and women to attend the University. Harry Connick, Jr., the special guest, and Branford Marsalis stole the show with their spectacular performance. My parents almost fell off their seats as they leaned forward to watch the music. The show ended as everyone in the audience waved glow sticks to the beat of "For Boston," the Boston College Fight Song. Talk about an electrifying evening. 
The Pops
Balloons fell over the crowd during the finale
On Saturday, Mother Nature surprised BC and gave us cloudy skies instead of the predicted rainfall. Alumni, students, and parents gathered around the stadium and Shea field to tailgate before the game. You could feel the excitement as different members of the community entered Alumni Stadium to watch the game, which was nationally televised for BC fans at home. The team played well and gave a solid effort. Unfortunately, Clemson won 45-31. I always want the Eagles to win, but this weekend I just appreciated sitting in the stands with my parents. We spent most of the game chatting with '05 grads and swapping stories because I live in Rubenstein, their old dorm.
Our view of the Clemson game
All in all, the weekend seemed to be a complete success.  As a senior, I loved showing my parents around during their first (and last) Parents' Weekend. They met my friends' families and felt more connected than ever to the community by the end of their trip. Most of the parents I met this weekend felt the same way. Everyone just appreciated the time with their family and friends.

Today, we start week 5 of classes and I can tell the professors and students have finally settled into their routines. I will continue to keep you updated on campus highlights. I know the faculty, staff, and students will appreciate next Monday off for Columbus Day.


Gasson Hall

That's all for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment